Saturday, September 16, 2006

The Ugly Truth About Passion

"Give me the song and I'll sing it like I mean it. Give me the words and I'll say them like I mean it."

- The Feeling : "Sewn"

One day it hit me like a flying microphone - blam. I finally understood what makes the greatest artists great. What made Tupac Shakur, Elvis Prestly, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Dizzy Gilespe, Ray Charles, Bob Marley and others superstars? Passion. Fans of the late-great artists (and some living artists) have a passion for the stars ability to make the fan feel. Any feeling will do.

Tupac Shakur introduced us to Thug Passion. Rod Steward even made fans feel sexy at one time. Mick Jagger, John Mayer, Bille Holiday, Nat King Cole, Sweet Honey in the Rock, Ladysmith Black Mambasso and others have made fans feel something.

Rock fans feel the energy, R&B fans feel the music, Folk fans feel the meaning, Hip-Hop fans feel respect, Country fans feel admiration but, all fans feel somthing.

Fans will spend two days pay (often more) paying to be near an artist who makes them feel something. It's like going on a date and never being able to talk to the date. I wonder if that's why concert shows are often referred to as tour "dates"?

Any way.

The ugly truth is that passion isn't always pretty. Passion isn't always in style. But if your passion is real, people will feel "something".

As former radio station Music Director, I've seen hundreds of packages for artists. One of the first things I listened for, in artists, was passion. If there was no passion there was no airplay.

When I managed my college radio station, I was able to build an entire an entire format of songs that college kids where passionate about.

If you have passion then you will have fans.

I'm wishing you success in the music business.

Jeronimo!! Black
Click Here to Discover the Secrets of Success in Today's Music Business. Or log onto www.simbiz.info.